Tuesday 27 September 2011

It's about the journey, not the getting there...

Just had a really great day travelling round Tuscany, around the Montepulciano wine area. I am now convinced that Tuscany is as good as people say. The scenery is just wonderful, rolling hills, beautiful farms and nice roads. The towns themselves are not stunning, although the wine on offer is. Montepulciano is very comercial. As soon as you get in, it is enoteca after enoteca selling their wares, but hey, this is what it is all about, isn't it?

We really liked Montalcino, less on the tourist map and less bothered about them, although.... there were lots of Americans there. Actually, this time of the year there are lots of Americans everywhere. Who said their economy is bad?...

It is hard to stop waxing lyrical about Italy. There are times that I think, what is so special about this or that, and then next minute I'm falling in love all over again.

Met a couple of Brazilians today and one of them was saying how she was disappointed with Venice (too many tourists), Verona (too many tourists) and St. Gimignano (the Italians are so rude, had bad experience). There isn't much I can say about that. Each person's experience is unique. Thus, I love England and have many Brazilian friends that call it all the time... Each to its own, I say.

We are kind of already planning a return trip, God knows when.... Two of the ladies I met were in their 70s. Hope I will be as up for it then (assuming I am still alive), as there is so much still to see in this wonderful world.

As you can see, a really good day all round. Ah, let NOT me mention the 15 euros (I joke not) I paid for an ice cream in Florence on Saturday!!!! Buyers be aware. Ashamed to admit to this.....NEVER AGAIN. Lesson: don't ever buy without asking the price first. BUT, this was my first real rip off so far. Have had lovely ice creams for 1 euro too.

No comments:

Post a Comment