Thursday 3 June 2010

french language and food - beware....

well, I'm glad that a few funny things are happening so I can entertain family and friends....

Went for a meal at the local and almost only restaurant/bar in the village that is open all the time. To keep it cheap we always have " menu du jour", which doesn't offer much choice. Options were "tete de veau" or beef. I had had the beef already, so went for tete as I like veal.... As soon as I ordered, I remembered that "tete" is something to do with the head. Left the dictionary at home.
Then decided to stick with choice just to see what it was. Well, at least it wasn't brains,but cow's cheeks, yuk.... and boiled, to top it all. Even the owner when she took the plates away with most of the dinner still on it, said she didn't like it either....

Lesson for today: Make sure you take your dictionary all the time and if in doubt: ask.....

Weather is wonderful today after a couple of days of rain.Not too much. Getting ready to move to the next house on Saturday. Hope I will find wifi a bit quicker.

France is gorgeous, belive me. The chateaux are wonderful and the vineyards around the LOire are amazing, although too early int he year for grapes. Can't wait to follow their growth as we travel around. Have come across a few Brazilians too, but not spoken to any. We are everywhere...
Keep posted.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to see a photo of the moo's cheeks! Didn't know it was a rural French cuisine? Can you keep a note of the places you do love as it would be good to visit the same spot, possibly stand on the same footprint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be a McDonalds or Burger King/KFC around! You're a lot braver than me with trying that kind of stuff. Enjoy your last few days there and you're right, you can't move for Brazilians! Neill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the electricity? Is it still on?

    Cow Face? Yuk.

    Viva la France.

    ReplyDelete